Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Late-night musings

"The intellectual is constantly betrayed by his vanity. Godlike he blandly assumes that he can express everything in words; whereas the things one loves, lives, and dies for are not, in the last analysis completely expressible in words." ~Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Through many years of studying Buddhism, practicing Bikram Yoga and meditating, one of the most important things I learned was "resting in the space between thoughts." Some days are easier than others, especially when monkey mind is in full effect. Connections. I love it when I think of one thing, and it leads me automatically to another, as if by magic.

Thank you to yoga teacher Kendra, who shared this with me during one of my first Bikram classes in 2001:

"The tongue is the hardest sense instrument to tame. Our need to comment is obsessive and compulsive. Chasing after taste bud pleasure is slavery. Witness your inner silence and be free."

No comments:

Post a Comment